Monday 20 December 2021

More Mitten Memories

 Today's advent calendar package contained two cylindrical objects. Hmmm! Could they be pens of some sort?


In fact, they were. Two very brightly coloured Frixion pens for marking fabric.

Just like I have my morning routine, so does Jade. She gets up with SW and heads downstairs, waits while he gets coffee matters sorted, and then gets let out to take care of business. Once back inside, she heads back to the main floor for "breakfast", and then settles in for some nap time. When I get up, she rouses herself to say good morning, then stands at the sliding door to the deck waiting to be let out for her "morning sniffs". She comes back in and settles for more nap time. If, however, one of us says "squirrel", she hastens back to the slider to be let out for a chase. She takes her squirrel duty very seriously.


A close friend of mine sent me a "Quilter's Twelve Days Of Christmas". I screen-captured the message and edited the image to remove personal information so now it's rather difficult to read, but it says:

Twelve UFOs Unfolding, 11 Purchased Pre-Cuts, 10 Hoarders a Heaping, 9 Quilters Quilting, 8 Bobbins Bouncing, 7 Scissors Snipping, 6 Geese A Flying, 5 Wedding Rings, 4 Feather Weights, 3 Spools Of Thread, 2 Tapes & Trims, and A Partridge In An Appliquéd Tree.



While quite a bit of it is quite true, I had to divulge to my friend that I had far more than 12 UFOs.

Yesterday's post about my smittens reminded me of another "mitten memory" from our trip to Newfoundland. It was a driving trip we took with two other close friends. Upon arriving in Newfoundland, we were set to explore the west side of the island....in particular, Gros Morne, Westernbrook Pond (which is huge, btw), and L'Anse Aux Meadows. At one of the shops on the west side, I found a really sweet print of a grouping of mittens which I decided to purchase. 



After our exploration of the west side of the island, we headed across to the east side of the island to spend a week at a cottage we had rented. While SW and I set off to walk a coastal trail, one of our friends decided to look into an art shop we saw a sign for just up the road. When we returned to the cottage, KL informed me that I just HAD to go check out this shop, but would give no further information. So...we ALL headed back up the road to said shop. Turns out the artist, Peter Sobol, whose mitten print I had purchased....on the OTHER side of the island....lived here.


How cool is that??? :)

I spent much of today working on the secret project....which I can't wait to share with you, but can't yet! I was able to get half of the project quilted today. I've only just taken a break from work to have a bite to eat, and complete today's post. I still plan to do a bunch of squaring/trimming.

And on that note, I wish you all a very good night!

TTFN

2 comments:

  1. Do you have an old sweater you can repurpose into new mitts? Can the old ones be repaired? I'm all for repairing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have many sweaters that I'm hoping to make smittens with at some point. The originals are quite stretched, but I am thinking I will try to effect some repairs....I just love them so much :)

    ReplyDelete

More Memories Captured

  Yesterday's appointment for Mom was the dental surgeon. She had several teeth removed in case she decided she was going to do chemo. S...