Thursday 30 June 2022

More Memories Captured

 Yesterday's appointment for Mom was the dental surgeon. She had several teeth removed in case she decided she was going to do chemo. She's opted not to do chemo, but her denture plate had already been altered for when the teeth would be removed. Her comment: "Why am I going through with this?" "Well, Mom....if you want to be able to easily chew food again, those teeth need to come out so your dentures can go in." We both laughed at that 😊. These are some of the moments I will treasure....and they've been recorded here so that I can go back and reread them whenever I want. Hmmm! That makes me think that I need to start making labels a habit so that I can do a search for what I want to see.

After I got Mom back home from her appointment, it was around 4:00. It was time to head to Guelph to get together with Tasha (my oldest daughter) for a "wine and dine" evening in honour of her 31st birthday (today). I can hardly believe that she is now 31! Where did the time go???

Anyway...I wanted to share some more of my memory places growing up. This is the house I grew up in from age 5 or 6 until I was 21. Some of that time was spent in Guelph going to university, though.


I was born and raised Catholic (not really a follower anymore), and went to this elementary school as a child....St. Teresa's. 

My very best friend in the world at the time, Rose Campbell, lived right next to the school in this house.


Our paths diverged once I started university, but I have to say, I still miss that friendship.

About 10-15 minute's walk from where I lived, there was a convenience store called Coglin's Variety Store (not sure I've spelled Mr. Coglin's last name correctly). He was such a lovely, kind man. I remember many a time that Mom and/or Dad would give Linda and I a bit of change to go to the store. We loved to see how far we could make those coins stretch. The store has since been turned into a garage 😔.

Across the highway (the very busy 53 highway into Brantford) there was a farm that had chestnut trees. I can remember one day (I was maybe 6 or 7) going to pick up chestnuts with the babysitter's son. I saw my parents turn in to our street and thought they'd leave the babysitter's without me (amazing how young minds work) so I began to run across the highway to catch them. I stopped dead in the middle of the west-bound lane of the highway as a large green car's tires were screeching on the pavement. I was SO lucky they were able to stop before hitting me!!!


It's amazing how clearly I can still see that green car coming toward me!

There are a few more memories, but I will save them for tomorrow. My blog will likely be late as we are supposed to be visiting friends for supper tomorrow night. If I don't get an entry in tomorrow night, I'll catch up on Saturday 😊

And on that note, I wish you all a very good night!

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Memories Captured

  Yesterday's appointment for Mom was the dental surgeon. She had several teeth removed in case she decided she was going to do chemo. S...