Wednesday 8 December 2021

Keeping Up With The Jones'...Not!

 I slept in until 9:30 this morning :o ...which is not so surprising, I guess, since I was up until 3:00. Dang the nights I can't shut the mind off...I can't get to sleep. They're happening more often as I get older, and more often even more recently :( Thank goodness I no longer need to be "up" for a classroom full of students.

Today's advent offering was not a large package, but it was certainly puzzling with all of its lumps and bumps and unusual shapes.


It turned out to be the cutest little needle threader. How fortuitous! That, too, is something I am starting to struggle with as I get older.


Today's weekly house chores included:

  • dusting the upstairs
  • vacuuming the upstairs
  • cleaning the upstairs bathroom
  • changing our sheets and towels
With SWs help, it all got done. Since I'd only recently changed our sheets and towels, I changed that task to "fold and put away sheets and towels". Well...you KNOW you're not keeping up with the Jones' when you find BEACH TOWELS in your baskets of laundry to put away. How's that for honesty. I admit it! I own it! I'm not crazy fond of folding and putting away laundry. Don't get me wrong....I love it when things are neat and tidy and put away. I just don't really like the process of getting it there. However, ALL the sheets and towels (at least 2 baskets full) got folded and put away today.
We WON'T talk about the baskets of my clothing that still need to be folded or hung and put away :P
Aside from shovelling snow off the front and back decks, the rest of my day was devoted to my Wanderer's Wife quilt project. Today, I focussed on making the 6 larger pinwheels. I did my very best to pick the fabrics randomly for these blocks.

One of the things I'd been struggling with as I was cutting the necessary pieces from the fabric was all the left over bits of each fabric. I had been trying very hard to keep the small bits with the larger piece of matching fabric in the bin, but it just wasn't working. I'd pull out a fabric and get the bits of the fabric next to it coming along for the ride. Then I thought to keep all the bits in the larger section of the bin, but it became a nightmare to find out if I had the necessary size already available when cutting new pieces. My latest solution....I have all the different bits, sorted by pattern, sitting at the top edge of my cutting table. When I grab a fabric for a block, much easier to check if I have the correct-sized bit to grab from before cutting more from the large piece.
I managed to get the 6 blocks done AND add the required borders to 4 of them. Although they were all to be pinwheels, I changed 3 of them up to create a different pattern. I pretty pleased with the outcome. I hope all these random colours work alright once I try to put them together in the actual quilt. Pretty hard to see the actual colours from the photograph, though.

MMMMM :P !!! SW is making supper tonight, and it is smelling wonderful. I do believe it is almost ready, so....

On that note, I wish you all a very good night :)
TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Memories Captured

  Yesterday's appointment for Mom was the dental surgeon. She had several teeth removed in case she decided she was going to do chemo. S...