Monday 17 January 2022

Sewing Up A Storm

Last night was another 3:00 night :(  They're happening more frequently...for whatever reason. Too much for my liking!!!

When I woke up this morning, there was an email from Country Concessions, another favourite quilt shop of mine, located in Cookstown, Ontario. I loved the message! sounds like really good advice for today with the heavy snow we're all expecting :)


Of course, there were a few things I needed to do before I could "Quilt up a storm"...one of them being the dishes I didn't bother to do last night (something that often happens, interestingly). This is the view from my kitchen window, making doing the dishes no great hardship.


 If you look closely, you can just make out my neighbour's house (my "partner in sewing" and one of my very best friend's) in the photo below.  In the summer time, when the trees are in full leaf, it's hard to know she's even there. 

Once upon a time, there was a special modular shelf on the wall in my sewing room. At one point in all of the changes, I could no longer keep in on the wall, But now, I have space for it again so I put it up. Anyone spot the problem???


Yep...you got it! the bottom-most cube was slipped together upside-down. Oh dear! That needs to be fixed!

This shelf was a space where I put all my special collectibles from my teaching career, along with a few things that once belonged to my mother-in- law. When my oldest daughter moved from Humber to our home to work remotely as an animator for Mercury Studios, she took over the whole of the basement (my other half being seriously allergic to her cats). As a result, much of my sewing stuff got set up in a spare bedroom upstairs, and a large amount of other stuff got boxed up. I know that somewhere in those "Not Brianne's" boxes, marked so as not to be confused with her things (she had a huge number of boxes we stored while she was with us....she only unpacked what she really needed), all all those collectibles.


As well as pulling out these boxes, I think this space might be the next thing to tackle...but not today! I need to "quilt up a storm"!


Today, I continued to work on the Pillow covers requested by my neighbour and friend, Christina, around the loop from us. As I mentioned the other day, even though I didn't like the "knob" that was created in the centre, even though both Christina, Lyn (who was sewing with me the other day), and I liked the starburst design. In our house, we USE our pillows....to lean up against, to nap on, whatever....and I just couldn't imagine those covers being at all comfortable to lie against or on. So, after chatting with Christina, it was decided to make a change. The results are a blend of the original pattern and the starburst. I like it....and no more lump!


In order to make the 18-1/2" block the correct size for Christina's pillows, it was necessary to add a border. I think the final block is attractive. All that's left is to make the zippered backing blocks for both fronts :)


Finally, I am so glad that I found a way to store everything so that the space under my work table would be left open again. Jade, who kept me company today,  seems very happy to have her space back again :D


Dinner has been consumed, Jeopardy watched, and now it's time for some other TV and some hand-stitching.

And on that note, I wish you all a very good night!

TTFN



No comments:

Post a Comment

More Memories Captured

  Yesterday's appointment for Mom was the dental surgeon. She had several teeth removed in case she decided she was going to do chemo. S...