Thursday 27 January 2022

Procrastination Past

Lady Jade does get VERY excited about going for her walk, especially if himself and I are both going. The only problem is that we a-r-e  n-o-t  f-a-s-t  e-n-o-u-g-h getting ready. She has her fur coat on, but we have to get dressed, layered up, coated, and properly covered (earmuffs/hat, mittens/gloves, boots,...). She definitely does not behave with patience! She prances, and paces back and forth...whacking us with her tail as she goes by.


 As Elaine said in her blog earlier today, not every day is a sewing day, and that was the case for me today. When we came back from our walk, we worked on bringing wood into the house...it always burns better if it's been in the house for a bit before use. First, we empty the rack into the stove box by the downstairs wood stove, and the wood rack beside the fireplace upstairs. Then, it's time to fill the rack back up with fresh wood from the shed outside.

Then, we fill the bins with kindling.


This is a routine we have to do every 2-3 days depending on how cold it is outside. Lately, it's been every two days :P  Once that was done, I made a trip into the village to the Post Office to post all those parcels I prepped yesterday. When I got back, it was time for some lunch and some "down time" :)

This afternoon's project was to work on the door for the cabinet that has been taking up space in our basement for the past 2 years. I confess....I have REALLY been procrastinating on this project. It's because I've never attached a door with European hinges. There are directions with the hinges, and no doubt I can find and watch videos on the internet, but still doesn't stop the trepidation. After all, if I mess up, I'm pretty much back to square-one! My Grade 8 teacher really did hit the nail on the head when he once said that I prefer to avoid things that I can't do proficiently...even perfectly. But....I decided today that I can procrastinate no longer. One step at a time and I will get there!

1. Laminate the open edges of the plywood. Trim the excess off the edges. Sand smooth.


2. Cut and add trim pieces to the door.



By the time this was done (including putting away all the equipment/tools), it was time to walk Her Ladyship again. The next step will be to caulk the seams with paintable filler, and then...once it's dry....primer the door. That'll probably happen tomorrow...after a run to town for groceries et. al.

On our walk, we noticed that the neighbour's first order of logs has arrived. We order our firewood from him, so it's quite likely some of those logs will become our next order of firewood. We always try to stay 2 years ahead, but it's been so cold this winter, and we've burned so much wood, we are likely going to have to dip into next year's supply that is currently curing along the garage and the driveway. We decided to up our order for wood in the Spring.

Our neighbour was also just receiving a tractor that he'd purchased in order to be able to clear his driveways and the track into the woodlot he is currently working. We got to chat with him and he is very excited! I would be too! :D


I know I said that today was not a sewing day, but I do plan to get some of my hand-stitching done now.

And on that note....I wish you all a very good night!

TTFN



No comments:

Post a Comment

More Memories Captured

  Yesterday's appointment for Mom was the dental surgeon. She had several teeth removed in case she decided she was going to do chemo. S...