Thursday 10 March 2022

Puzzling It Out

During coffee today, as we often do, we were listening to Hunter's Bay Radio. A song came on that I liked the sound of, so I went online to look up the title/artist. What showed up was this:


I don't remember this song being in this movie, but I certainly remember the movie. Such a good movie....but heart-wrenching.

Then, when I was reading Elaine's blog, a photo that she posted caught my eye. The photo was taken in Libya. I don't love the garbage, or the mud, but I DO love the pattern of the sidewalk tiles. They look like a quilting pattern waiting to be made :)


Early today, SW and I headed into Huntsville to run some errands, and pick up some groceries. With himself being away this coming weekend for a "Guy's Weekend", and being down to one vehicle (other one off insurance for the winter), I wanted to be sure I had everything I might need as I would be housebound. When getting ready to go, SW put his pocket knife in his jeans pocket, and his wedding ring (which he is not yet wearing 100% of the time...he had to remove it when he damaged the tendon in his finger and we recently had sized up to accommodate a thickening in the finger) on his hand. His comment made me laugh: "Got my knife to protect me from bears, and my ring to protect me from cougars". 

After we got home, got groceries put away, and had some lunch, I headed down to get some more quilting homework done. Today....after much procrastinating....I began work on the background strips for Wanderer's Wife. I knew that it was going to be a challenging task, so I did as much as I could to ensure success without errors. First, I copied the page from the pattern book that showed the overall sections of the quilt, as well as the breakdown for Section 10...which seemed like the most logical place to start.



I then hung the first 22 strips of fabric in the order in which they would occur in the section.

As I completed each sub-section, I carefully labelled it with the section it belongs to, the column numbers of the fabrics, and the length of the sub-section. Hopefully that will suffice when I go to put it all together.


Then I highlighted the completed area on the photocopy.


 It became apparent when working on the next section that putting this all together later will be somewhat of a puzzle. As you can see from the photo below, the long run of strips is interjected with some of the blocks I've been sewing.

Of course, even with all the preemptive strategies to avoid mistakes, it still happens. If you make the mistake of sewing the next strip to the wrong side of the grouping, you will definitely have a date with your favourite tool...Jack, The Ripper!
The whole thing becomes even more complicated because, if you look at the photocopy, you can see that some of the strips do not follow through throughout the whole run of the quilt :o
I didn't get a whole lot done today before it was time to walk Jade, but that's okay. I'll continue tomorrow :)

Since we went into town today, we decided to pick up something simple for supper. We DO enjoy a cooked chicken, salad, and crusty bread every so often.

And on that note, I wish you all a very good night! :D

TTFN


No comments:

Post a Comment

More Memories Captured

  Yesterday's appointment for Mom was the dental surgeon. She had several teeth removed in case she decided she was going to do chemo. S...