Thursday 17 March 2022

Boy....Iceland Seems Barren


We went into town today as SW needed a photograph for renewing his Firearms Certificate. It's so funny when you go for these photos. You ARE NOT allowed to smile! The resulting photo, especially when they were black and white, really made the person look like they should NEVER be allowed to have firearms...hahaha! We also picked up a few grocery items while we were there.
 

As some of you may know, I signed up for the virtual Conqueror Challenge. The challenge that I chose is Iceland's Ring Road. The other night, someone commented on FaceBook that they'd been walking for some time and commented "It's a long and lonely road." My reply was "With not much to look at!" However, last night, I actually approached (virtually, that is) Varmahlio...and suddenly, there were things to see (besides flat fields and volcanic hills). This is a church.


If you look really closely at the hillocks on either side of the church, you can see the pattern of the way the peat bricks were laid. 

This is a monument dedicated to one of their famous poets, Stephan Stephansson. Apparently, he suffered from insomnia, so he would farm during the day and then write through the night.

I also received another postcard from the challenge.
This region's main industry is the Icelandic horse, pony-like in size but very hardy.

My quilting task today was to continue to work on my "Out Of The Box" project. I managed to get the top done....less the circular element. 


By the time I got this done, though, it was time to head out with Jade. Such a warm day today. TWN said that it was 13C. Everything is melting...even the top layer of the ice on the lake.
I recall that I have always loved this time of year....when there's run-off from the snow melting. I love watching (and listening to) the water move, and seeing the pattern the rivulets make.

Tomorrow's supposed to be quite nice, temperature-wise, as well, so get out...watch the run-off....find your own patterns :)

And on that note, I wish you all a very good night!

TTFN


No comments:

Post a Comment

More Memories Captured

  Yesterday's appointment for Mom was the dental surgeon. She had several teeth removed in case she decided she was going to do chemo. S...