Wednesday 2 March 2022

How Much Is That Quilt(-y) In The Window...

 So...as I was continuing to work on the Churn Dashes for the next block, I began to give more thought to what this quilt COULD cost. The block I completed the other day...


...to me 7-1/2 hours to complete. If I earned minimum wages for my time, that would be $112.50. The whole quilt (66.5" x 67.5") is a total of 4488.75 square inches. That Churn Dash block in the quilt is 81 square inches and would fit 55.42 times into the whole of the quilt. That means that my wages for the whole of the quilt, based on the wages for that one block, would be $6234.75. And that is just for the work in making the top. That doesn't include the cost of fabric, thread, batting, backing, binding, and the time that would be needed to quilt the whole thing and attach the binding. If people were aware of this math, I'm guessing they would be less likely to complain about paying what is actually asked for a handmade quilt.

I was really hoping to get the 4x3 Churn Dash block done today, but it got to be 7 o'clock and I was getting really hungry. I did manage to get close :)


I also have to make this Plus A Star block for this month's homework to be complete.


Looks like it might be a little less work....she says tongue-in-cheek :/

Our birds have been real "greedy gusses" the last few weeks. They have eaten A LOT of seed (and the red squirrels have been stealing their share). I filled up feeders today, and realized a trip to the feed store was necessary. Hopefully this will carry us for the rest of the winter.


Anyway, SW is wanting to watch a show we have PVR'd.

And on that note, I wish you all a very good night!

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Memories Captured

  Yesterday's appointment for Mom was the dental surgeon. She had several teeth removed in case she decided she was going to do chemo. S...