Friday 15 April 2022

Transformed, Indeed!

It's been a very interesting couple of days....but more on that in a minute.

On our way to my parents' place, we stopped briefly at our friends' place to pick up newspapers (for the wood stove) and a toaster oven, and at our daughter's place to drop of some plants (from Lyn) and a huge canvas I wasn't going to be using. On our way out of Guelph, we made a stop at our investor's place to drop off our tax info. As we were leaving, I saw this building. I love what they did to make it attractive and interesting to looks at.


So....what made the couple of days interesting? To begin, we were only planning on being there over night. When we arrived, my mother was looking jaundiced and very unwell, was feverish, and was hardly able to respond coherently to questions. She also had a large lump and bruise on her forehead as she'd passed out and fallen in the bathroom. My father, who is very limited in his strength and mobility, had to work for almost 30 minutes to get her up off of the floor. He also told me that my mother's surgeon wanted me to call his office, where I learned that they were wanting me to get my mother to KW's Grand River Hospital as they felt they needed to replace the stent in her pancreas again. She'd only had this one inserted 1-1/2 months ago, and they're supposed to last 3 months. She got admitted and the surgery was to happen the next day (yesterday). I was to pick her up late in the afternoon yesterday. It was shocking the transformation the procedure provided. Yes...she was fragile and tired, but she was coherent and more animated again. I have to say, it was SUCH a relief to see this transformation!!! Even so, I feel like I need to make the 5 hour trek each week now....for my own peace of mind and to do a few things to make day-to-day easier for my mother.

While we were at their place, I took a couple of photos of some art by the family. The painting of the daffodils was completed by my mother's uncle. I have always liked this painting. The painting is so old that some of the paint is coming off the canvas, but it's still very attractive to me :)

Over the course of her life, my mother has engaged in a number or artistic endeavours. Several years ago, she worked on paper tole. One of the pieces she made was of this indigenous women. Beautiful...but not even her best work. I'll have to share a photo of what I think was her best work....another day :)


My mother being in a much better place this morning, we felt that we could both head home (I had wondered if I might need to stay longer while Steve came home to go to work on Saturday). We were pleased to find that most of the ice was off the lake.


We also found this!!!


The squirrel(s)...probably the red...had chewed a hole right through our deck bin to access the seeds we store there. >:(  It's one thing when they keep cleaning out the feeders, but when they chew through the deck box!!!

As I look out this evening, there are big, fluffy flakes falling :(

And on that note, I wish you all a very good night!

TTFN



No comments:

Post a Comment

More Memories Captured

  Yesterday's appointment for Mom was the dental surgeon. She had several teeth removed in case she decided she was going to do chemo. S...