Tuesday 5 April 2022

Road Trip For Fun

I LOVE reading Elaine's blog (crazyquilteronabike.blogspot.com) each morning with my cup of coffee. As well as following what she's up to as a fellow quilter, she often gives me pause for thought about things. Today was no exception. There were two things to consider. First, she posted a photo of a sign that she saw at a school near her place...


Her comment in relation to the sign was that she wondered how well it would go "over in this car-focused city". It reminded me of my teaching days....when I was on morning duty at what we called "Kiss & Drive" (the parents were to drive up using a round-about, drop off the kids with a kiss, and drive away). I remember one parent who every day drove her then Grade 4 daughter to school....they lived TWO DOORS DOWN from the school!!!!

The other thing that stuck with me was when she was discussing people who have FOMO (fear of missing out) and sign up for various classes and then do not do the work (for whatever reason....signed up for too much, fear, whatever). Some things CAN seem daunting....for me, free-motion quilting...but her thoughts are as follows:

"And for those that are just beginning the process -- let's say the machine embroidery world --- you have LOTS to learn, but if you remain a by-stander -- you won't get to the good stuff!! I don't care how minor your project is -- I just want you to do SOMETHING -- anything!"

Taking that advice to heart, I really DO need to get over my FOM (fear of mistakes) and just start working on some free motion quilting!!!

Heading out for our walk this morning, I noticed and interesting ice phenomenon on the puddles in the driveway. It's a little hard to tell from the photo, but there are two layers of ice. One is about 1/2" below the upper layer. I wonder how that happens???

During our walk, we heard the Sandhill Cranes down near the end of the road. All of the area around there...both sides of the road and across the highway...is marshy. 

However, even though we could hear them, we could not spot them. I wonder if they are nesting out there somewhere. Two years ago, when my youngest and I were driving out to go somewhere, there were 3 cranes (mother, father, and baby) that crossed the road in front of us. So cool!!!

When we got back from our walk, Steve and I decided to do a road trip to Sundridge, just for fun. We wanted to go check out a business that makes sheds/out buildings.


At some point in the renovation process, I'd like to have a large, high shed that we can use as a gym. There are only a few spaces in the house with ceilings high enough to accommodate the treadmill (without risks of clocking yourself on low ceilings). Two of the spaces are bedrooms, and the other space....where the treadmill is currently folded up and pushed back....is the living room. It's definitely not ideal! A shed, once insulated and hooked up with hydro, would allow us to accommodate not only the treadmill, but all of the other workout equipment (universal gym, rowing machine, bench and free weights, to name a few) that are taking up space in the recroom downstairs.

 When we got back home, before we put the car back in the garage, I had Steve help me cut two pieces of wood. I'm planning on turning them into barn blocks :)


And then....it was time to sew :)  I was continuing to work on this month's homework for Long Time Gone. The pineapple blocks are all done, but I still needed to make a "Square In A Square Stars" block. I got fairly far on that today, but it's still not quite done.

Tomorrow is another day :)

And on that note, I wish you all a very good night!

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Memories Captured

  Yesterday's appointment for Mom was the dental surgeon. She had several teeth removed in case she decided she was going to do chemo. S...