Sunday 13 February 2022

What A Wonderful Day!

 Sunday...."Myiwanna Day". As I entered my sewing room this morning, the sun was shining brightly. It lit up the room enough that I didn't need to turn on the overhead lights for quite some time....at least until the sun swung around the corner of the house :)


The first thing I did was to check and update my calendar, which also has my homework list for each month. My eye was drawn to my "Out Of The Box" project, which was hanging next to the calendar.


When I made it, I wasn't sure what I would do with it. I have a very deep window in my sewing room. I'm thinking that if I make two more of the same block and zigzag them together...or maybe even leave them loose...I could make a runner for that space.


With my room itself being purple (my favourite colour), it would work well :)


Before I got sewing today, I felt I needed to deal with the extra Tula Pink fabrics and the extra Kaffe Fassett fabrics that were lying around on my sewing desk or in the window space. Rather than sort them into colour bins, I decided to make fabric bins dedicated just to them. 

However, between my other fabric bins and bins with projects in them, there is currently no space on the shelving unit for these bins. For now, I've just "stashed" them on the floor under my sewing desk.

Since my calendar showed that I am up-to-date with all the homework for my various classes, I was free to work on whatever I wanted to today. Bonus!!!

Now...I may seem to digress, but I will come back around to quilting. We (SW and I) have some close friends the husband of which lost his mother. He posted on FaceBook about the anniversary of her passing. His words about her were beautiful! Such a lovely tribute. Helen truly was and amazing woman. She would open her home to week-long visits from her son and his "brothers from other mothers" (for fishing/hunting trips), and would do the same for her son, his wife, SW and I, also for a week at a time. She would put us up and feed us, and would hear nothing of being reimbursed in any way. She was an amazing baker, and could fillet even Pike (a VERY boney fish) so that there would hardly be any bones in your dinner. For many years (before we knew her), Helen had worked at a local florist shop. She also had really lovely flower gardens at home. Her flowers were important to her. 

Now for the quilting. I thought it might be nice to make some placemats for our friends' table, and I thought a flower garden theme would be a lovely tribute/memory of our friend's mother. With that in mind, that's what I worked on today. I had a lovely "flowery" layer cake to start with. I made a plan on paper, and then made one of the 6 flimsies (correct term when not a quilt top???) to see what I thought.


I liked the look, but felt it was a little on the small side for a placemat, so decided to add some of the green as a border.


Much better!!!

I spent the rest of my time cutting and making the flying geese strips, as well as cutting the other fabric that would be needed to make 6 placemats. Before I knew it, it was time to get busy making "Sunday Supper". We don't necessarily do this EVERY Sunday, but I do try to do it as often as I possibly can. I have such fond memories of Sunday's as a child :) Tonight's offering... mashed potatoes, ribs, and a salad :P


While things were cooking, I was deep into my current read (latest from Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series)...which I now intend to go back to. I am so close to the end of the book! I can't wait for the show to start up again...March 6th :D

And on that note, I wish you all a very good night!

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Memories Captured

  Yesterday's appointment for Mom was the dental surgeon. She had several teeth removed in case she decided she was going to do chemo. S...