Thursday 10 February 2022

About Quilting...But Not Quilting

 Today's focus was pretty much about quilting, but I did not actually get to quilt. Yesterday, I decided that I would need to get more blue and purple fabrics for the Tula Pink Butterfly quilt I've begun. That meant a road trip to one of my favourite quilt shops. You got it....Thimbles & Things.


No...it's not summer there. I snagged to photo from their website.

Jade LOVES road trips, too, so she came along as well. Don't let the yawn fool you. She is always very excited to travel with "pack" (SW was along as well....more on that later).

I wasn't able to find any Tula Pink fabrics there that I want to use for the quilt, so I decided instead to purchase some Kaffe Fassett fat quarters and 1/4m cuts. I think they'll really look lovely in the Butterfly quilt.


I also purchased a brochure of all of Kona's solid colours. Sue, at Thimbles & Things, is amazing at finding a complimentary fabric (patterned or solid) if I can tell her what colour I'm looking for. 
This will be really helpful when trying to order fabrics by phone.....and online.


I also bought a lovely, soft flannel baby panel to have on hand should I need to make a baby blanket. In fact, I might make it and keep it on hand....just because.


So, SW came along today since we were going to make a stop to fill up gas cans. When we got rid of the truck and bought the new vehicle, we needed to figure out a way to transport the gas cans. It was too smelly to have them in the back of the Sorento. We bought a carrier to attach to the hitch, which we thought was going to work well using ratchet straps. Put the cans in and use ratchet straps to hold them in place....unscrew the caps and fill up the cans....Screw the caps back on and go. Fast and easy, right?!? Wrong!!! The first time we tried that, we were told by the attendant that we needed to fill the cans ON THE GROUND. That meant undoing everything to fill the cans and then spending time to do it all up again. VERY time-consuming. I'm sure they have a very good reason for the rule, but it was really holding up the line behind us. I suggested to SW that we needed to come up with a better way....and we did :) A couple of "quick connects", some lengths of chain, and two locks were the solution that made this job SO much easier :)


When we got home, I decided to purchase and download EQ8 (Electronic Quilter 8), a program that Ena used to create the quilt sampler and block pages she used to teach Lyn and I how to quilt, and Elaine reignited interest in recently. And....once again, I was down a rabbit hole. I tried to open the program only to learn that I needed to update my computer. That led to having to update a large number of applications. There are still "wrinkles" to iron out....I can no longer upload my photos to this blog in the same way as I did previously....but that will have to wait until tomorrow. I did, however, select a lovely photo to become the background for my desktop :D


And on that note, I wish you all a very good night!

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Memories Captured

  Yesterday's appointment for Mom was the dental surgeon. She had several teeth removed in case she decided she was going to do chemo. S...