Wednesday 9 February 2022

Fly, Fly Again!

 Today was "Social Sewing" with Lyn. She was working on a special project for a special someone (I'm almost 100% certain they don't read this blog).


I decided I was going to work on completing my January homework for my Tula Pink Butterfly class.


SW made Banana Oatmeal muffins yesterday, so I even had treats to offer :P Thanks, SW!


First, I sorted through the fabrics, which came as a layered bundle, and folded them so that they'd be easier to seen in the bin. I had already decided to modify the colour way, eliminating the yellows and greens, planning to make the upper wings totally pink/coral and purple, and the lower wings totally blue/purple. That meant removing the yellow and green fabrics. It also meant deciding the line where the upper wings would meet the lower wings. It's hard to see in the photo, but I marked a line to show the changeover line.



After completing these tasks, I noticed that I had PLENTY of pinks and corals (and corals with purple), and very few blues and purples. Hmmm! I think a "road trip" might be in order. There are worse things that could happen :D



I then got busy cutting the fabric pieces for the very small (3-1/2" unfinished) log cabins that would be placed in almost the middle of the upper wing....


...and quickly got them sewn together.

Each strip has 3 small log cabins that are sewn together. One strip is for the left side of the butterfly, and the second strip is for the right side. Can anyone see the problem??? If you realized that the two strips should be mirror images of each other, you, my friend, are smarter than I was when I put these together. At least I realized (while cutting strips for the next blocks) before sewing the other blocks together :D Oh well....I go back and fix those at the end.

The next blocks (6-1/2" unfinished) were purple and blue. I needed to make 4 of them and then join them together in pairs. I was very careful this time to be sure they ended up being a mirror-image of each other.


When teaching the class, Elaine showed us where on the butterfly pattern each log cabin configuration would be put. I labelled the pattern so that I could remember where they'd eventually go. Since they need to be properly positioned, and need to be symmetrical, I decided to also label the pieces. That hopefully makes it easier to assemble at a later date.


 The upper wings have a few blocks at the very top that are a combination of purple/coral/pink, and I decided to adhere to this as it echoes what happens in the lower wings.


Once I finished the bigger blocks, I went back and fixed the small log cabin strips.



Much better!

And on that note, I wish you all a very good night!

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Memories Captured

  Yesterday's appointment for Mom was the dental surgeon. She had several teeth removed in case she decided she was going to do chemo. S...