Saturday 26 February 2022

Quilting...So Much More Than Putting Blocks Together

On our way South to my mother's place, I stopped at Thimbles & Things to pick up an order I had waiting. As well as more of the green fabric I needed to complete the binding on the placemats I was making, I was picking up a book I had ordered. It was one that was recommended by Elaine in our Free Motion quilting class.


I know myself well enough that if I don't have "homework" I am a lot less likely to persevere with something....even free-motion quilting. This book has given me an idea. I can set my own homework in relation to developing my skills in free-motion quilting (FMQ). Being as FMQ takes me outside of my comfort zone, I will need to WORK at becoming better at it. With that in mind, I'm thinking that I might add FMQ to my monthly calendar, completing tasks each week...How about Free-Motion Fridays???...to improve upon the skills I began to learn in the course over the  two sessions. This book will be a great help as it is set up at lessons to be completed. However, rather than limiting to 25 lessons, I think I will repeat the skills in each lesson until I feel confident I have approached mastery :) But first...I will complete the FMQ on this project that was begun in the class Elaine led.


In an effort to continue to improve upon quilting skills...be it FMQ or other....I also signed up for this course, offered by The Hobby Horse, on making table runners. It's not because I am overly keen on making "holiday" table runners, but rather because it was advertised as a means of working on various quilting skills. 


This session's runner is in preparation for Easter.


I am not sure I am ready to go totally FMQ on this one, but I am hopeful that by the end of the 6 bi-monthly sessions, I will be confident enough to try :)

And I just had to share this. I know it's another dog picture, but Her Ladyship is such a huge part of our life...and our happiness...that I cannot feel guilty about sharing her in my stories. After all, they are the "ramblings of a busy quilter"...and I'm busy with so much more than just quilting. As often happens after our walks, Jade is let off-leash once we get back to our driveway (which is quite long btw). And, as is her habit, once we get closer to the house, she speeds up and heads around to the lake-side of the house. Why? Because she needs to do a perimeter check for "chitterbugs" (aka squirrels and chipmunks) of course :D

I really DO need this girl to live forever...or at least as long as I do!!!

And on that note, I wish you all a very good evening!

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Memories Captured

  Yesterday's appointment for Mom was the dental surgeon. She had several teeth removed in case she decided she was going to do chemo. S...