Monday 7 February 2022

We Have A "Leaky" Answer

 Sadly, today was another one of those days when sewing doesn't happen. I'm not particularly happy about days like this. I feel like something is missing :(  I find sewing is a "Zen" activity for me. I turn on the tunes, and tune out the world.

After walking Her Ladyship this morning, SW and I did the firewood routine. Then, because I wanted to clean downstairs and knew working on the cabinet door was going to created more mess, SW and I worked on getting that job done. The other day I said that doing the door hardware looked like it was relatively simple based on the instructions. Not sure why I had procrastinated so long in getting this job done. Well..you know that thing called Murphy's Law..."what can go wrong will go wrong". I made several mistakes. The instructions told me to mark 3" from the top and the bottom....which I did..., but the shelf brackets happened to be in the way. That meant we had to chip out wood so that the hardware would fit. And then I added the wrong number from the chart (based on several calculations).

This meant that the hinges weren't sitting in the correct position and the door wouldn't close properly. Also, the middle one, also placed as per the directions, wouldn't work at all because one of the shelves was in the way :(  See the extra hole bored out in the middle?


The only way we could solve the issues was to flip the door around and begin the work again. At least the hardware inside the cupboard was sitting in the right spot....according to the instructions. So, we bored new divots for the door hinges, and attached the door. We left the middle hinge off as it seemed redundant. But now, the inside of the door looked like a mini-putt course in the vertical.


I know it's inside the door and no one will see it, but it's the sort of thing that bothers me. Not enough to do the whole door over again,...after all, although the materials were reimbursed, my time was offered for free....but enough that I wanted to make it a little less noticeable. I got out the paint and put a coat on the raw wood. I also did a few touch-ups here and there. I think the end result is MUCH better :)


I put the removable shelves back in...


...and installed the handle hardware. Looks pretty good next to the decorative trim.




At this point, the gentleman who had done our roof in 2018 came to have a look at our "water woes" issue. I left SW to wander around with him (showing him the water damage), and to go up on the roof to see if they could figure out what the problem was. I worked on tidying, dusting, and vacuuming the basement. The upshot of all their sleuthing was exactly what I feared...and had wondered aloud to SW.  They pulled back some of the soffit and discovered what was happening.

As the snow was melting on the roof, it was somehow accumulating and freezing above the soffit, and then melting into the house :( The white stuff in the photo is actually accumulated ice.

So....we have our "leaky" answer, but we're not sure how we're going to solve the issue as yet. The roofer has made a couple of possible solutions...none of which will be without further cost..., but he plans on checking with some other folks to see what might be the best option. 

By the time all this was done, it was 3:30....WHAT???....and I still had to get to town to pick up a hasp for the cabinet, and some groceries. I have no idea how the day got so quickly away from me, but even Jeopardy is already half over.

And on that note, I wish you all a very good night!

TTFN




No comments:

Post a Comment

More Memories Captured

  Yesterday's appointment for Mom was the dental surgeon. She had several teeth removed in case she decided she was going to do chemo. S...