Friday 11 February 2022

There's Quilting and Then There's Sewing

 Many would say that we haven't had as much snow this winter....and they're probably right...., but we have had a fair bit, all of it since the New Year. Our friend's 14' aluminum boat seems to be carrying a fair bit.


As I was having breakfast after Jade's walk this morning, I had to smile. She was being such a lady....crossing her legs!

I am by NO means a seamstress! That would be my mother, who took 4 years of the trade in Belgium. She was so proficient at it, she could look at a piece of clothing I liked, draw a couple of simple sketches on a scrap of paper, go home and use newspaper to make a pattern, and then make the article of clothing for me. I, however, am a quilter. Thankfully, I learned a lot of sewing skills from her in the years that I lived at home. Even being a quilter...and not a seamstress...I sometimes get asked to remove my quilting hat and put on a sewing hat. Such was the case when the neighbour asked if I could make repairs to his work coat. 

What needed to be done seemed to be in my wheelhouse, so I said yes. It was just a matter of fixing some seams that had come undone. Easy, peasy! And it didn't have to look pretty...according to him :)


I then took some time to sort through the purchased fabric from yesterday, deciding what I would actually use in Tula Pink's Butterfly pattern. Now I have a much better selection of blues and purples for the lower wings.

Of course, this is another one of those quilts that will have lots of small bits and strips. I decided to start I will put them in this small box, and pull from there if the size works.


My next plan was to continue working on machine quilting my sampler. Yesterday, I had wondered if I might be able to continue the paper pattern around the corner. Once I pinned the pieces on, though, I found that it was going to be out by half an inch at the other end. Not hugely noticeable, I guess, but it would have bothered me, so I decided against it.


I managed to get ALL the quilting done :) Very happy with the results!


Pulling out the paper will be a good job while I Zoom with a couple of my close teacher friends tonight :)


But first....Jeopardy!

And on that note, I wish you all a very good night!

TTFN



No comments:

Post a Comment

More Memories Captured

  Yesterday's appointment for Mom was the dental surgeon. She had several teeth removed in case she decided she was going to do chemo. S...