Sunday 22 May 2022

The "Seasin Of Freezin' " Begins

When we left our friends' place yesterday, my friend, Carol, sent me home with a bunch of fresh rhubarb from her garden. My two rhubarb plants that I planted last year have come back and are doing very well, but are not likely to produce much if anything this year, so I gladly accepted the offering. Once I got home, I got them cleaned up, cut, and ready for the freezer. My mister will be very happy when I make him a strawberry-rhubarb pie to enjoy. He loves it when the neighbour makes him one on occasion, so I'm thinking it's time I learn how to make one myself.


This morning, I had my "Out Of The Box" class, and I did manage to get my homework done in time for the class. This month's parameters were to us neutrals and include triangles in whatever we produced. I like to make something that has some use, so I decided to make a journal cover. I was inspired to do that by Linda's journal cover last month. I'm pretty pleased with the finished product.


Next month's challenge is to make something with stripes....and I think I already have a plan. The nice thing.....it's also something useful that I had planned to make at some point. Bonus!!! I can't share yet as I haven't even begun the project.

This afternoon, I decided to tackle catching up on the Quilts Of Valour "With Glowing Hearts" (WGH) quilt. I first needed to fix Block #1 as it didn't come out to the proper size, for whatever reason. I opened up seams and restitched things. It's not perfect, but at least it's now the correct size.


I began work on Block #2, but did not finish it today. 


I am hoping to get it done tomorrow, as well as Block #3, which will put me back on track with the homework for this class. The one thing that I find less pleasurable with this class is that the lesson's are pre-recorded. It's not a "live" lesson like many of the lessons offered by Thimbles & Things and Elaine. I much prefer the live version of lessons. It certainly helps to keep me accountable to completing the homework on time....even though WGH wants you to post your completed block on Instagram before a certain date.

Tasha, my oldest daughter, who is visiting, really liked the idea of the "Out Of The Box" class...how parameters are set, but what you create within those parameters is totally up to you. She lamented that she wishes she had that in relation to art projects. She misses how her classmates at Fanshawe used to inspire her creativity. I suggested that we could start an Art "Out Of The Box" Challenge. She loved the idea. We already have a plan for our first project (but I did say that I would need until July before we could begin...that I still have a lot of classes, but that two of them will be done by then). What's the project, you ask? Well, we are going to each create a walking stick. We are allowed to burn etching into it, paint it, use ribbon/twine on it,....essentially we can do whatever we like BUT it has to be a walking stick. I have already found the piece of wood I will use for this project :)


Now to plan what I will do to "decorate" my walking stick....even if we're not beginning until July.

And on that note, I wish you all a very good night!

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Memories Captured

  Yesterday's appointment for Mom was the dental surgeon. She had several teeth removed in case she decided she was going to do chemo. S...