Tuesday 10 May 2022

Flimsy....As A Noun And An Adjective

Today was Jade's annual vet visit. She has tremendous difficulty trusting....something that has improved since living with us. Going to the vet has never been easy in that area. It's been MUCH worse since we aren't allowed to go in with her at the Gravenhurst clinic...which is where we went today. Because of her anxiety, and the ensuing behaviour that ensues out of her fear/anxiety, she needs to be "doped" before going to the vet. She has to have 2 trazodone the evening before her visit, and 2 more the morning of her visit. This makes for a very dopey Jade! When we arrive, because we aren't allowed in at this site, you need to text them of your arrival in order to arrange "drop off".

Steve and I have always been very responsible pet owners, but my gosh....it's getting SO expensive!!! Jade's wellness visit, bloodwork, medications (Bravecto, Heartguard, more Trazodone) came to just over $600. What do people do that have more than one pet???? Crazy!

As a noun, flimsy is defined as:

noun
BRITISH
  1. a document, especially a copy, made on very thin paper.
    "credit-card flimsies"

In the world of quilting, a flimsy is a completed quilt top. Today, I finished the work on the Hip Hop flimsy. I still need to sandwich it with batting and backing in order to meet my commitment for UFO Club this month, but I should have no trouble getting that done tomorrow. Then, it will get put aside for at least a couple of weeks as I have a LOT of other homework I need to get to for my quilt classes.


As an adjective, flimsy is defined as:

adjective
  1. comparatively light and insubstantial; easily damaged.
    "voyagers who crossed the sea in flimsy boats"

That really does describe the dress that I've been asked to hem. The fabric is VERY flimsy....and slippery. It is also prone to small catches :(


I had hoped to be able to sort of roll the fabric to hand-stitch the hem with a slip stitch, but it is so hard to manage, I felt it might be better to iron at least one turn of the hem. It won't be as fine perhaps as a rolled hem, but at least I'll be able to get the job done.....which I plan to start while I'm watching some TV tonight.


And on that note, I wish you all a very good night!

TTFN

        



No comments:

Post a Comment

More Memories Captured

  Yesterday's appointment for Mom was the dental surgeon. She had several teeth removed in case she decided she was going to do chemo. S...