Monday 9 May 2022

Summertime, Summertime, Sum, Sum, Summertime

 Okay....be honest....did you "sing" the title for today's post???

For the past week, we've been enjoying (early) summer-like sunshine and warmth. It has been wonderful. The downside....See that can next to the shed clothing? 

Yep...you guessed it! The bugs have arrived....most notably the black flies. While there are not many yet, it will not be long before we are inundated by them. I hope this bodes well for the blueberry crops this coming summer. Seems very early for them to be here already. They're usually here closer to the May 2-4 weekend.

Steve has been taking advantage of being home during these beautiful days. He worked up another section of our gardens today and got radishes and lettuce planted. Yes...like the black flies, that is early. But, we have a shorter growing period up here. We'll just have to cover things if there's a risk of frost. 



While Steve was working outside, I kept busy doing a few jobs around the house this morning. Once Steve finished working on the garden, he got cleaned up and we headed to Parry Sound. My primary mission was to get a particular colour of thread that I need in order to hem a dress for the neighbour. I knew I was not likely to be able to find it in Huntsville....I think the only place you can get thread in Huntsville is at Walmart of one of the dollar stores. I did find something that is close enough to do the job, I think. To "hedge my bets", I also bought a spool of invisible thread....just in case.

On our way to Parry Sound, I pulled over to snap a photo of this place in Orville. It was home to one of our favourite "let's go for a drive" coffee shops. It closed during the pandemic. However, it looks to me like someone is trying to keep another food business there. It was closed today, but I think it deserves further investigation.


The road to Parry Sound from our place, Highway 518, is such a twisty, windy road. Signs like this are posted along it in more than one place.


Trust me....it's for more than 23km. Maybe that's why the signs are place along the way. There are also frequent reminders to travel at 50km/h. And they're not kidding!!! There are so many bends in the road! If you go to quickly on the straightaway, you get surprised by a bend...and SO many of them are 90 degree bends. I think the road is so bendy because it's been built through marshy lands.

After picking up thread, and some needed groceries, we arrived back home to find this (which Steve repaired before I took the picture).

While we were away, "Earl" (the squirrel) started to chew ANOTHER hole in the opposite corner of the deck box. I'm starting to think we need to get a metal box to store the seed in :P

I spent a chunk of time this afternoon working on my UFO Club commitment, which is to get the flimsy done for Hip Hop, and get it sandwiched ready for quilting. I'm getting close :)


And on that note, I wish you a very good night!

TTFN



No comments:

Post a Comment

More Memories Captured

  Yesterday's appointment for Mom was the dental surgeon. She had several teeth removed in case she decided she was going to do chemo. S...