Sunday 12 June 2022

Wow...What A Sunday!!!

Since I don't set an alarm on Sundays (Myiwanna Day) I slept in a bit this morning. Steve set out to walk the girls this morning while I enjoyed my morning coffee. Just as he was returning, he sent me a picture.

That was one of 2 snapping turtles he (and the dogs) saw this morning. They are on the move looking for a place to lay their eggs. This often happens on our loop. Unfortunately, the foxes in the area usually get to the nests before they can be protected. Ah...the cycle of life! 

I broke the rules this morning...even though they are self-imposed rules. I suggested to Steve that, being Sunday (and Myiwanna Day) we head into Burk's Falls for breakfast at one of the (pretty much the only) eatery and he agreed. We headed to Jude's. Not a fancy place, but good food and reasonable prices....which shows in how busy they always seem to be.


They also have a section where they showcase/sell the work of local artisans. I threw caution to the wind and made a frivolous purchase...which I'll share with you in a bit.

When we got home, I decided I would continue with my "one room at a time" clean and purge. Today....I tackled the bathroom. To be fair, this bathroom REALLY needs a total overhaul. It has a sloped tongue-n-groove ceiling (not so bad), floor to ceiling chocolate brown tiles (with a small white daisy pattern here and there) which is very dark, a yellowing marble counter, and a harvest gold tub! Yes....I said a harvest gold tub! Talk about dating the place!!!


My purchase at the restaurant today was totally in line with working on this space. On the wall behind the toilet we have a shelf, and on that shelf we have a basket where we store extra rolls of toilet paper. The toilet paper we had been using allowed us to fit 4 rolls in the basket, but the current TP only allows 2 rolls in the basket and 2 on top.


Instead, I can now store 5 rolls (more if I really wanted), and I have the added fun of the nod to the popular game "Xs and Os". Isn't it cute?!?!

As with any bathroom, I think, the biggest job is the cabinet....that becomes a catchall. Ours is no exception!

As I started unloading it, I noticed this 😖


Who really needs three (2 almost full) bottles of isopropyl alcohol??? One of the bottle happened to have a spray top so I emptied the larger bottle into it. I still have 2 bottles but at least I've made that small amount of space.

I went through everything carefully, and refilled the aluminum bins with only what we would use. I now have one bin for First Aid items...

....one bin for Q-tips, cotton balls, tissue packets (good for the cars), and facial pads...


...one bin for back-up soaps, shampoos, lotions, etc. ....


...and one bin of miscellaneous stuff :)

SO much better! And I have some stuff to donate or give away.

I also tackled the laundry today...well, most of it...because I have to confess that I put it back in on the bed so that it wouldn't be a tripping hazard in the hall.

I ended up reducing 3 baskets to one...most of it my clothes, but a bit of it Steve's.

I also promised to share something else I got done yesterday that I had forgotten to take pictures of. Since what is now the spare bedroom WAS our bedroom, I had put up a shelf in the small hall leading to that bedroom...a place to put all of my "Sweet Reads" books. We moved back into the bigger bedroom (albeit with a much smaller closet) but I hadn't made the move of pictures, books, etc. Yesterday, I put up a shelf in our "now" bedroom, and moved over all of my "Sweet Reads" books.


And now, on the shelf in the small hall to the "now" spare bedroom, I put all of my Diana Gabaldon books. She's quite prolific in her writing, and her books are HUGE!

I also changed out the pictures that belong in our room (because I like having them there...they have more meaning for me). I also hung Steve's paternal grandmother's paintings on either side of the bathroom...



...and an oil pastel drawing from one of his aunt's on his mother's side of the family (I seem to have forgotten a picture of that one).

I also filled my new pottery "vase" with some daisies, asters, and ferns that are currently in abundance. I really like how the hole in the top of the "vase" separate the flowers into an attractive display. No need to be a professional flower arranger!


My Siberian Irises are also blooming, which I'm so happy to be here for. Irises are definitely one of my favourite flowers. Too bad they don't last very long!


I finally finished reading The Weight Of Ink. I'm so glad I persevered with this book. The last third of the book had me gripped. My newest read is It Ends With Me by Colleen Hoover. I'm not very far into the book, but I am already interested 😊.

Time to read some more! Hmmmm! Steve is chasing the furry girls around the house. It might be a little hard to concentrate atm. Oh well!

And on that note, I wish you all a very good night!

TTFN









 

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Memories Captured

  Yesterday's appointment for Mom was the dental surgeon. She had several teeth removed in case she decided she was going to do chemo. S...