Tuesday 28 June 2022

Capturing Memories

 Today I needed to take my mother to pick up her dentures, which were modified based on the pending oral surgery tomorrow (she needs to take the dentures with her), and we ran several other errands as well. It was about 12:30 when we got back to the house and my mother began preparing "dinner". They eat their larger meal at midday, and eat lighter for the evening meal. I have learned to ask "Is there anything I can help with?" rather than stepping in and doing things. I do it for both my VERY independent parents so as not to rankle them.

When dinner was done, I decided that I would go for a drive and capture some memories. My first stop...my old high school. 


The old part of the school was built in 1910. It wasn't there when I went to high school, but they've since put a stone marker indicating the date the school was built.

I'm not sure when it happened (before I got to highschool, for sure), but a 3 story "tech and business" wing was added to the school, as well as a triple gymnasium 6 flights of stairs below the t&b wing (built into the side of a hill). 

What's REALLY interesting is that at one point, the school was not entirely co-ed. One end of the building has a stone inset saying "Boys", and the other end has a stone inset saying "Girls". Can you imagine???



 My next stop was Lorne Park, which runs alongside the Grand River. I always loved this park! It's a beautiful space right in the midst of town. In fact, Brantford has a lot of lovely parks sprinkled throughout town. Lorne park, however, has always be a showcase. The lawns are manicured, and the flowerbeds have always been beautifully maintained. Each year, the one long flowerbed would be decorated according to a chosen theme. This year's theme is "Year Of The Garden". The plants were only planted a few weeks ago, so they have not developed to their full potential yet. Nonetheless, it still is quite beautiful.


One of my MOST favourite things about the park, however, was a large willow tree. I was SO happy to see that it was still there.


When I was younger, those branches...which have obviously been trimmed up...use to hang right to the ground. It was so cool to go sit in the centre ring around the tree. Kinda like a natural tent. A different version of "forest bathing". And look at how massive that trunk has gotten!!! The diameter of that trunk is easily 4 feet across!

The road through Lorne Park is a one-way road. In high school, sometimes I would ride my bike into town. I would use the back roads as much as possible (self-preservation). That road was one of the ones I'd use. Back then, there was no such thing as bike lanes, so it was sometimes a little treacherous on that road. People often took it as a means to cut off a corner of town to get to the main highway. Today, I'm very glad to see that there are clearly marked bike lanes. Not only that, but there's one that allows cyclists to go against traffic on that road 😀.

My next stop was the old "survey" where I grew up...but I'll save that for tomorrow 😉

And on that note, I wish you all a very good night!

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Memories Captured

  Yesterday's appointment for Mom was the dental surgeon. She had several teeth removed in case she decided she was going to do chemo. S...